Mark your calendars for this Sunday, because it’s gonna be a scorcher.
The next few days are going to be HOT. And if your aircon just doesn’t feel cold enough lately, you’re not alone.
According to weather forecasts, Malaysia will experience some of it’s hottest days around the 20th of March.
The high temperatures are partly due to the equinox phenomenon, where the Sun will pass directly along the equator. Temperatures are expected to hit above 35 degrees Celsius. And coupled with the dry weather, there is a chance of local peat fires causing haze as well.
How to stay cool during the hot season
We have written about ways to renovate your home to stay cool without ever needing your aircon before. But if a full home renovation is not an option, take heed of these simple precautions:
- Drink lots of water, even if you’re not thirsty. Alcohol doesn’t count
- Cover your head with a wide-brimmed hat or cap if you’re going to be outdoors
- Wear loose fitting clothing for proper ventilation
- Stay indoors. Head for the malls, cafes, or other air-conditioned environments
- Park your car in the shade. If you can’t avoid parking in the sun, wind down the windows a little, and use window shades at the front and back
- Service your aircon beforehand so you get cool air when you really need it
- Bring an umbrella. Yes it’s very auntie of you, but it’s better than heatstroke
- Start your day early while the air is cooler. This helps you avoid traffic jams too
Just remember; the most important way to avoid heat-related illness is to keep your internal temperature from rising.